Book Review: Wicked Like a Wildfire



Title: Wicked Like a Wildfire (Hibiscus Daughter #1)
Author: Lana Popovic
Genre: Young Adult | Magical Realism
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books 
Publication Date: August 15, 2017
Source: Publisher
Format: eARC


All the women in Iris and Malina’s family have the unique magical ability or “gleam” to manipulate beauty. Iris sees flowers as fractals and turns her kaleidoscope visions into glasswork, while Malina interprets moods as music. But their mother has strict rules to keep their gifts a secret, even in their secluded sea-side town. Iris and Malina are not allowed to share their magic with anyone, and above all, they are forbidden from falling in love. 
But when their mother is mysteriously attacked, the sisters will have to unearth the truth behind the quiet lives their mother has built for them. They will discover a wicked curse that haunts their family line—but will they find that the very magic that bonds them together is destined to tear them apart forever (goodreads)?


Don't let the pretty cover fool you. 
Plot: To say it politely, Wicked Like a Wildfire bored the hell out of me. The writing was beautiful, but I could barely focus on the descriptive language. A good portion of the novel was spent on describing Iris and Malina along with their relationship with their mother then the second half quickly turned to learning about a coven of witches. There was no natural flow so this change in scenery felt very abrupt and out of place. There will be a sequel that I think will follow Malina more closely, but I can't make myself care. 

Characters: Malina and Iris had a very rocky relationship with their mother, but I felt that it could have been explored better. I never felt a connection to any character, but my interest in Jasmina, the mother, piqued after her attack. Her past was finally coming to light, but it was a bit too late for me. 

Worldbuilding: Wicked Like a Wildfire was in a setting that thrilled me - Serbia. This is a landscape that I haven't seen in many Young Adult titles and while there were certain aspects that separated this setting from others, but it wasn't enough to have me lose myself in the world.

Short N Sweet: Wicked Like a Wildfire was an unfortunate boring read for me. 

Labels: , , , , ,