The Original Did It Better


I've been looking at covers lately: rearranging my bookshelves, adding 2018 books to my TBR, and browsing through the rest of this year's releases. Some books have great covers and some have passable covers, it's not surprising that we have to remind ourselves not the judge a book by its cover. So I've decided to go through some of my favorite covers that had, in my opinion, unfortunate redesigns. 



I was heart-broken when I saw the new cover to Unspoken. To me, the first cover has that sense of whimsy and magic that is Sarah Rees Brennan's writing. The new cover is just....basic. And is that Scriptina font? 


There have been several redesigns to keep the Harry Potter sales flowing but there will  be nothing as special as the original run. 


Remember when the internet lost its shit about this redesign? And in my opinion, rightfully so. The new covers (which I still haven't seen in person, did they ever commit?) look like a Throne of Glass rip-off. NO THANK YOU. 


I loved the first cover! I loved that it teased the girl's face and the script was beautiful. I've never been a fan of the close-up faces so this is painful for me to look at. 


I'm not surprised that this redesign happened; girls on covers (especially fantasy books) seem to be all the rage. I can't say I'm in love with either book, but I liked that the original cover included the godstone. 


And those were my favorite covers that, in my opinion, didn't need a redesign. Do you agree with my picks? Disagree? What were some of your favorite original covers? 

Labels: , , , , ,